Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Twilight Years

Early morning
Watching the dawn light up your face
I know these are your twilight years,
But we've had a grand old time, haven't we?

Midday, and you're still napping,
Sleepily rolling from sunbeam to sunbeam,
All graceless beauty and raw elegance.
You'll always be my puppy, won't you?

We grew up together, you and me,
Playing in the fields, sleeping in the grass,
Sucking on the honeysuckle and drinking from the brook.
You still dream of that, don't you?

Sundown burns scarlet across the sky
And you rouse to watch it with me while I shiver by your side.
Are you nearly ready, sweet puppy? 
We'll play again tomorrow; I promise.

I just want you to know
That no matter how many tomorrrows the future gives us,
You'll always be right here in my heart,
Where you've always belonged.



No comments:

Post a Comment